- Prenatal breastfeeding classes
- One-on-one counseling with a Lactation Educator
- Breastfeeding Helpline: 1.800.500.6411 (Calls answered by Lactation Educators Monday – Friday)
- Online breastfeeding support – Click here to email our Lactation Educator
- Electric breast pumps may be available for moms of babies who are premature or unable to breastfeed right away
- Electric or manual breast pumps may be available for moms who are returning to work, school, or military service
Enhanced Food Packages
- Moms who are fully breastfeeding receive the best food package for themselves and more baby food – for up to one year
- Moms who are mostly breastfeeding also receive more foods for themselves and their baby – for up to one year
Our Breastfeeding Promotion Policy
- Promotes breastfeeding as the norm for infant feeding.
- Recommends exclusive breastfeeding as ideal nutrition for infants and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first six months of life, unless medically contraindicated.
- Recommends gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first year, complementing the breast milk diet.
- Recommends breastfeeding continue for at least the first year of life, and thereafter, for as long as mutually desired.
- Provides culturally appropriate, learner-centered breastfeeding education to ensure participants make an informed infant feeding decision.
- Has designated a breastfeeding coordinator who is responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating breastfeeding promotion and support activities.
- Reviews this policy with all new WIC staff, contracted employees, and volunteers at orientation, and at least once a year, and,
- Ensures that all staff have education to support this policy.
- Accommodates participants, staff and volunteers who are breastfeeding.
- Informs community partners that WIC is a source of breastfeeding assistance and information.